Taking Action at a Local Level
We are a movement of young people working to stop climate change and create millions of good jobs in the process. We are fighting for a Green New Deal at the local, state, and federal levels that addresses injustice and inequity while also fighting the climate crisis.
We are active all across Portland- check out our calendar to see our upcoming events!
FIGHT FOR CLIMATE JUSTICE
why this matters
We Need Your Voice
What’s your climate story? We want to hear from you. Why are you moved to act? What do you want for our future?
the green new deal
Just getting started? Watch Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez envision the decade after the Green New Deal- a sustainable, prosperous future for all.
Sunrise Movement PDX needs your help to keep operations going! We need your support for art supplies, refreshments at our meetings, transportation, and other overhead costs.
Contribute today to help us take back our generation's future. ✊🏿✊🏾✊🏼✊🏻
THE GREEN NEW DEAL
bold legislative action
WHAT IS THE GREEN NEW DEAL?
The Green New Deal is a call to action for our nation to come together to make the impossible possible, just like we did when we overcame the Great Depression, won World War 2, built the transcontinental railroad, and went to the moon. It’s a 10-year plan to mobilize every sector of American society to meet the historic challenges of climate change, environmental degradation, economic inequality, and racial injustice.
The Green New Deal has 5 main goals:
1. Achieve net-zero greenhouse gas emissions through a fair and just transition for all communities and workers.
2. Create millions of good, high wage jobs; and ensure prosperity and economic security for all people of the United States.
3. Invest in the infrastructure and industry of the United States to sustainably meet the challenges of the 21st century.
4. Secure clean air and water, climate and community resilience, healthy food, access to nature, and a sustainable environment for all.
5. Promote justice and equity by stopping current, preventing future, and repairing historic oppression of frontline and vulnerable communities.
It will achieve these goals through a series of ambitious national projects each guided by a set of principles and guidelines to ensure that no one is left behind in the transition to a new economy.